ACTFL 2013 workshop
Julie and I will be offering a workshop at ACTFL 2013 in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday Nov. 21. If you’re going, please consider joining us.
W21 | Gamification for Language Learning
Can video games be of value for learning languages? Participants who are curious, unsure, or excited about online games and their role in the classroom will benefit by exploring the potential of gamification to enhance language learning. Experience and analyze a variety of software that has been successfully implemented in language classrooms, develop game-enhanced activities that are useful for language learning, and discuss ways games and game-informed principles may be useful in your own teaching and learning context.
New Publications for Fall 2013
This Fall we’re offering 4 new publications. If you’d like a free copy of any of them, you can make a request through our publications page.
- a set of materials for game-enhanced L2 Spanish learning with Gardenscapes: Mansion Makeover, by K. Lanser & project co-director J. Sykes
- a set of materials for game-enhanced L2 Spanish learning with Mass Effect 3, by K. Lanser & project co-director J. Sykes
- a white paper by project co-director J. Reinhardt entitled: A Meta-analysis of Research Frameworks in Digital Games and L2 Teaching and Learning
- an appendix from Sykes and Reinhardt (2013). Language at Play (published by Pearson), a Guide to Game Types and Genres
New Publications for Spring 2013
This Spring we’re offering 5 new publications. If you’d like a free copy of any of them, you can make a request through our publications page.
- an evaluation by K. Turba and M. Hudgens of L.A.Noire, a role-play adventure game for PC and consoles available in Spanish, French, German, Italian, and English.
- an evaluation by C. Cobo of Dark Tales: Murders in the Rue Morgue, a casual handheld (iOS) adventure game available in Spanish, French, German, and English.
- an evaluation by F. Amaral and K. Turba of Portal 2 an action-adventure game for PC and consoles available in Spanish, French, German, Russian, and English with audio, and Polish, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean with subtitles.
- a white paper by project co-director J. Reinhardt entitled: Social Network Games: Potentials for Foreign Language Teaching and Learning
- a second white paper by J. Zhao that outlines Seven Social Networking Games appropriate for intermediate language learning